Sunday 10 June 2012

Rugby, Cheetah & Afrikaans, Oh My!


June 10, 2012
Yesterday was a fantastic day.  Truly.  No sarcasm for once.  We started off the day visiting the nearest neighbors, half an hour on sand roads away.  These lovely people let us watch the Ireland vs. New Zealand rugby match and the Wales vs. Australia rugby match.  In and around the games was loads of marvelously delicious food.  From waffles to warthog (yes, Pumba) sausage, everything was absolutely divine and our hostess joked about being a domestic goddess in her retirement.  Man, I hope when I retire I can do the same!

I discovered I may not care much for most sports, but rugby, rugby I enjoy.  It might help to sit with a New Zealander and an Irishwoman, or maybe it was the company in general.  Regardless, it was a ton of fun.

One more rugby match went on yesterday, South Africa vs. England.  Privately, I cheered for England (gotta respect my roots!) but everyone here cheered for South Africa.  They won.  We watched that rugby match at the only pub I’ve ever been to with a ten minute drive down a single lane dirt road and a gate to go through.

But the highlight of the day, far and away, was driving out to pub.  Jane was chatting with us when she slammed on the brakes and yelled, “That’s a fucking cheetah!”

She was right, there were two cheetah cubs standing on the road.  They watched us for a minute before crossing and fading into the veld.  Here I was expecting not to see a cheetah the whole time I was here and there were two of them, completely unexpectedly.  You’ll have to take me at my word when I say they were gorgeous, because I left my camera here at camp.  So no pictures except in my head.

Well, with a sighting like that, the night could only get better.  We watched the last rugby match of the day at the pub and I got to sample gemsbok (sustainably harvested from the game farm that owns the pub).  Also, very tasty.  Ran into some American students there, too, from University of Texas.

After that, Jane, Caoilfhionn and I headed for the Afrikaans Winter Dance.  Now, it is winter here and it’s freaking cold at night.  (And today, the wind is just vicious.)  It was a fairly laid back party, a lot of chatting, a fair bit of alcohol flowing, and a bit of dancing.  The Afrikaans here do this marvelous semi-formal two step called sokkie sokkie.  It looks amazing and the speed at which some of the couples could do this was insane.  I watched and was amazed at how well they did.

Anyway, we stayed for hours and I met some of the loveliest people.  They were very polite and very friendly.  Most of the Afrikaans in Ghanzi are cattle ranchers or manage game farms so CCB works with them on that.  For all that predators cause huge problems for ranchers, they didn’t give us a lick of grief for working to help cheetahs.  Actually, Caoilfhionn and I spent the night assuring them that no, really, we did not need another drink.  Thank you, but really no.  The farmers up here can be quite persuasive when they try, let me tell you.

Everyone wants to see Ireland, so Caoilfhionn was quite a hit, but apparently California and Las Vegas are also equally popular so we both got asked lots and lots of questions.  Caoilfhionn traded Gaelic phrases for Afrikaans phrases.  I can say a few things now.  My favorites: Hallo, Baai, Dankie.  Hello, Bye, and Thanks.  Oh yeah, words I can handle!  But I can also manage “Hoe gaan dit met jou?” which is "how are you".  Honestly, I think I might learn Afrikaans just because I think it’d be fairly easy to pick up.  (Really, I should finally learn Spanish, but…)

Anyway, marvelous day, perfect cheetah sighting, superb company, interesting sports, and so very, very much fun.

*Note: I’m not giving out any of the names beyond the CCB folks just as a sort of cautionary thing.  I don’t intend to say anything inflammatory, but I don’t want any issues coming up because of me.  But I want to reassure you that I did meet real people and I remember their names ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment